Monday, April 5, 2010

The Sania soap !

My heart sank when the news broke out that SaniaMirza ,the Indian tennis beauty queen had broken her engagement with the nice boy next door chosen by her parents, to marry a Pakistani cricketer!

I have seen Sania so often on TV that she is virtually like the girl next door and I sat transfixed at front of the TV when the news channels telecast live ,the emotional outpourings of the parents of the first wife of that cricketer.

I shed tears along with the eloquent mother of the betrayed girl from Hyderabad and sided with her father when he heaped curses on ShoaibMalik [I wasn't aware of his existence till that day] and his brother-in-law ,that they should be afflicted and suffer from cancer .I totally agreed with the woman panelist[Muslim] when she cautioned Sania to think twice before tying the knot with that knave from across the border.I also wondered as the Sena chief did,how could she represent India after marrying a Pakistani?

I went to bed that night ruing the fate of a bubbly Indian sportswoman to be snuffed and pardhad by an alien . I also spent some time match making ,with those dashing Pathans and other handsome members of the Indian cricketing squad and my eyes misted over when I imagined blessing such a union from my armchair!

The saga continued the next day ,with the spicy news that the villain of the piece --Shoaib Mallik had landed in Hyderabad.

I was totally immersed in this live drama ,more stirring than any film or the Discovery series onTV,'My shocking story' I had seen recently when I was unceremoniously divested of the remote by ,other[male] members and friends who stormed in to see cricket in the sports channel They had seen it live in the Chepauk stadium through noon and evening ,yet were not satiated . The deeply engrossing emotional drama was replaced by staid cricketers chasing the ball.

Deprived of the thrilling twists and turns in the triangle unfolding in Hyderabad my ire has turned on cricket.There are tests, odi's, and head whirling 20- 20 matches.How do Indian gents keep track of so many matches and watch each match with equal if not even more relish ,interest and enthusiasm?Doesn't the maxim 'Too much is too bad ' ever apply to cricket ?

My protests at this short shrift given to the melodrama being played in the news channels were brushed aside with some terse observations'' Sania Mirza is a spent force . Even in her heydays she was never a great player. She is no patch on the less telegenic but much more talented Saina Nehewal a world class Badminton player. Don't expend your emotion and time''. Thus the Sania soap was summarily silenced!

Is this media hype 'A much ado about nothing'?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home