Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The dot.

In my schooling days copying my Muslim class mates I didnot affix the dot on my forehead and on being espied by my mother I got such a severe scolding that I dared never to repeat this transgression.It was her firm belief that a Hindu girl must keep' pottu' to distinguish herself from Muslim and Christian girls who didn't.

I obeyed her strict orders though I often looked longingly at the bare foreheads of my Muslim friends. Times change.Now every other Hindu girl goes about without a' bindi'.But there is no question of confusing them to be Muslims because unlike the Muslim girls of my generation who dressed just like me and didn't wrap themselves or hide their heads ,the current crop cover either themselves with black burkha or cover their heads with lace edged scarves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home