Monday, September 6, 2010

Chinana chiru killiye kanamma---Translation of Bharatiyar's poem in English.


Bharatiyar has mirrored to perfection ,the intensity of the tenderness, the depth of unasked love and pride and the fierce desire to shield one's child from miseries , of every parent in his poem,
Kannamma yen - khuzhandai .

The verses and my translation is as follows....

Chinnan chiru kiliye kannamma,
Selva kalanjiame,
Yennai kali theerthe, ulagil
yetrram puria vandhai!

Young and small poppet, Kannamma
my treasure trove!
You have come to dispel my misfortunes
And uplift me in this world!

Pillai kani amudhe-Kannammma
pesum por chithirame!
Alli annaaithidave-yenmunne,
aadi varum thene!

As sweet as a mixture of fruit and honey,
a beautiful portrait that has come to life!
You are so winsome and charming
pattering pot of honey!

Odi varugaiyele-kannammma
Ulam khulurudhadi!
Aadi thirithal kandal , unnai poi,
Aavi thzhuvathadi!

When you skip down to greet me, my raging mind cools down!
When I see you dancing and gamboling,
my spirit mingles in your joy!

Uch chi thanai mugurndhal-gharvam,
vongi vallaruthadi!
Mech chi unnai oorar pughazhindal,
meni silirikkuthadi!

When I inhale the innocence of your forehead,
it makes me feel ten times taller!
I bask in reflected glory and my body tingles,
when people around me praise you!

Kannathil muthamittal- ullamthan
kalveri kolluthadi!
Unnai thazhuvidalo - kannamma,
unnmatha magudhadi!

When you peck on my cheeksI feel elated,
like one intoxicated with wine!
I want to keep you forever ,
within my circle of affection!

Chatru un mugam sivandhal, manadhu,
chanchalam aguthadi.
Netri surunga kandal-yennakku,
nencham padhaikudhadi.

Even a little anger darkening your face ,
disturbs me,
When I see your brow creasing with worry,
it wrings my heart.

Unn kannil neer vazhindal -yen nenchil ,
udhiram kottuthadi,
Yen kannir pavaiyandro?kannamma,
yen ooir ninnadhandro?

When I see tears overflowing from your eyes ,
intolerable pain pours within me , searing my heart.
Oh, why these tears ? Are you not the light of my eyes?
Isn't my life at your disposal?

Sollu mazhalayele -kannamma
thunbangal theerthiduvai!
Mullai chirruipp ile-yenadhu
moorkaithai thavirithuviduvai!

On hearing your sweet gurgling lisps,
my sorrows and problems vanish ! Your gentle and innocent laughter,
disarm and soften me!

Inbha kadaigal yellam,unnaipol
yedugal solvathundo?
Anbhu tharauvadhile unnainer
aagum oor theivam unndo?

Is there any literature as
delicious as your, precocious prattle ?
In lavishing love upon me ,unbidden
could any merciful god rival you?

Marbhil annivatherke-unnai pol
vaira manigal unndo?
Seerpetru vazhvatharku-unnaipol
selvam piridhumunndo?

To decorate me is there a
more precious medal than you?
To lead a good and happy life
What more wealth I need ? only you !

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home