Wednesday, May 12, 2010

quid pro quo.

I studied Hindi up to class 10 . I can talk and write in Hindi. Both my paternal and maternal grand fathers were well versed in Sanskrit[ considered the mother of Hindi] and could converse in Sanskrit fluently.

In Tamilnadu, Brahmin's are generally considered as invaders from Aryan land --northIndia.Though they have been living here for several centuries. I am a Tambrahm.

Yet when I come across some Hindi speaking people sniggering at the lack of Hindi knowledge of southies and reprimand them at their ignorance of the rashtrabasha I find myself rushing to the defence of my Tamil sisters.

I studied Kannada at primary school ,slip naturally into Telugu when I visit my birth place Tirupathi and found the chattering of my friends in school,college or near at home in Bengali or Gujarati or Punjabi , pleasant .It never jarred my sensibilities .Each language is beautiful in its own way!

There are several wonderful languages in the length and breadth of India that are unique with intrinsic merits.Can any single language arrogate to itself the holier than thou attitude?

The Tamil spoken in and around Chennai is guttural. But the classical liliaceous literature of the Sangam period is gentle and fragrant. The poems of Divya Prabandham are simply too good to be true!That a heavenly choice of words exist in Tamil language is amply testified by Thirupavvai and Kambha ramayanam.

Hindi is a sweet and a musical language . Its gentle ripples, rivals the divine notes of the flute .

It is quite amusing to note that, some strident chauvinists of Hindi or Tamil, often fumble to pronounce 'sha' or 'zha' ,the letters that are unique to the respective languages!

The great north south divide may vanish in due course of time if every school going children ,up north is taught Tamil and the children down south ,Hindi as the third language.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home