Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Jaiho'

A.R. Rehman has won two 2 Oscars and now another twins--Grammy awards for the song 'Jaiho'.

Why am I not bowled over by the 'Mozart of Madras 'bagging the coveted prizes?Is it because whenever I hear his compositions I feel that I have already heard them before . Oh yes in the original. The haunting melodies of S.D Burman and the rhythmic ,catchy and westernised music of R.D.Burman in my teens.

I am sure A.R. has heard them too as the difference between our respective age's is less than a decade.

The tune of Jaiho tumbles me into the past and brings to my mind Zeenat Aman miming her lips , synchronising it with Lata's unbelievable voice singing 'Panna ke tamana hai ke heera mujhe mil jaye' the music so admirably composed by Burman.

Had India been the toast of the world as it is now 30 years back R.D.Burman and several other music composers as well as M.S .Vishwanathan would have collected a sackful of the bounty.!

Better late than never.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home