Monday, February 14, 2011

Love and separation


There is so much talk of love in the air. Where can one find this emotion a sacred , meaningful and unique one, than is exemplified in the following passages of Ramayana?

Rama on returning to his hermitage after pursuing and slaying the rakshas in golden deer form , stumbles and finds his eyelids fluttering unceasingly. He quickens his pace, longing to see the ardent face of Sita. But the garden around seemed to be drooping and weeping.He realises that some thing untoward has happened .

He says to his brother Lakshman " If princess of Videha doesn't greet me with a smiling face on my arrival , O Lakshmana I will breath my last".Then adds "When I became forlorn with forfeiture of my kingdom, my parents and friends , she stood with me as partaker of my woes. Where is she"?

On finding the hut empty, Rama he rushes out and asks all the trees like mango, sandal wood etc growing in the vicinity whether they had seen his lady love Sita?He also asks the deers, elephants and the master of all beasts the tiger to boldly own up the where abouts of his soft, gentle ,delicate, beautiful and cheerful lady love. When they remain mute , he ventures further into the forest and mistakes creepers and slender shrubs to be Sita. He wandered restlessly among the trees crying out her name aloud shuddering at the thought of her delicate frame killed and gorged by demons. At times he deluded himself that Sita was merely playing with him hiding behind bushes.

Then Rama begs the eternals to locate Sita. He says " Oh Sun you are knower of performed and unperformed deeds in the world, a witness to all good and bad deeds. Tell me ,to one who is writhing in unbearable agony where my lady love is . Where did she stroll off or by whom was she stolen?"

"Oh air whatsoever is there in the world ,where so ever it might be or when so ever it might have happened and which so ever it might be when so ever it might exist ,that cannot be possibly unknown to you . Hence tell me of the lady of noble heritage ---is she stolen, slain or lost in the forest?"

His sorrow turns to anger when he is unable to account for the absence of Sita and when no one comes forward to enlighten him .

He vows aloud ' If my lady love is not returned to me in fine fettle or I do not get even a glimpse of herI will destroy the worlds by releasing all the arrows in my quiver. I will shatter all the planets and devastate the moon and the sun . There will be darkness everywhere . Mountains will be pulverised and oceans drained of water. Plants will wither away and all gods , demons and monsters will be annihilated. I am lenient and benevolent but do not mistake it for weakness.My radiance will quell the sun just as it sizzles the moon!

Lakshmana disturbed by his brothers sorrow and anger musters all his patience and wisdom to calm him. He says 'Tell me who is uncaught by mischance?'The great seer vasishta himself a peer less and faultless rishi lived to see his son dismembered and eaten before his eyes.Did he not over come his grief?"

Lakshmana then pleads with Rama not to destroy the entire universe for the misdeed of a single person and prevails upon him to search for Sita and rescue her from her abductor .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home