Sunday, April 18, 2010

Meritorious service.

A person had in recent past written in the Sunday edition of an newspaper about how the much reviled' public servants' came forward to help his friend suffering from a heart attack in a train . He has a bagfull of words of praises to all those duty conscious Railway officials and doctors who didn't charge penny for the warm and kind hearted services rendered as a matter of course , ungrudgingly.

This brings to my mind the kindness of two officials of 'Delhi Transport Corporation' ,which was then notorious for paucity of fleets and erratic timings, a driver and a supervisor.It was the first day of my public exams[1974] and not a single bus was in sight that would take me to a destination 15 kms away from where I was put up- EPDP colony a suburb where buses were the only mode of transportation , in order to reach the venue to give my board exams.

My father and brothers had already left to their work places in different corners of Delhi, earlier. I was in a fix .I agitatedly enquired the driver and supervisor standing nearby regarding the time of arrival of the particular route bus . I was close to tears.On coming to know that I had to give my board exams in an hours time they immediately diverted another route bus waiting at the bus stand , towards the exam centre ,situated in a less frequented pocket of KarolBagh.They bade me luck and assured me that the bus would run at the same time to the same destination till the last day of my exams! [ 1 month] And it did !!

I got a state rank , finding a place in the merit list which secured me admission in the prestigious and topmost college then, L.S.R to the highly coveted Economic Honours without a hitch,with every other branch for my asking and received merit scholarship for the entire duration of my under graduates studies from the govt .

I have never forgotten the kindness shown by those two govt servants- two total strangers towards me, at the nick of the time and the promise that was kept with my gratitude as the only fee, all through these years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home