Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Kulasekara Aazhwar's hymns in praise of Vithvakotai perumal.

KulasekaraAazhwar the 8 th century ruler of Kerala and a Vaishnavaite saint has dedicated 10 hymns in honour of the deity at Thiru Vithvakotai or Thiruvinchikodu , a temple that is on the way to Guruvayoor. The presiding deity 'ooiyavandha perumal' is said to have been worshipped by pancha pandavas.

These hymns are full of metaphors .

Tharunthuyarum thadayel:-----Though the sorrow given is not removed. [688-695]

**Tharunthuyaram thadayel vun saranallal saranyillai virai kuzhuvoomalaraphozhil choozh vitravakottam ammane!
Arisinathal yeendra thai agaitridhinum matravan than arul ninaindhe azhung khuzhavi ,adhuve ondri irundhene! ..........688.

My leader , who is enshrined in Vitrakottai temple that is surrounded by garden of fragrant flowers ,
Has given me sorrow. Even if he is not removing it ,I still seek his lotus feet as my only refuge!
Like a child , though scolded and beaten by his enraged mother , cries aloud and runs only to her seeking her kindness!

** Thiruvithvakotai amma ! You reside in a place surrounded by lakes and ponds that fishes long to make their home!
Even if you are not attached to me I am attached to you!
Like all those subjects of a garlanded king , who causes great misery to them , yet cherishing the fond hope of his benevolence in future!.......................................690.

**Even when the skies forget to pour rains , green crops look up expectantly scanning only the skies for the appearance of dark rain bearing clouds!
Similarly even if I have to experience sorrows that is my lot , I will only look up to you with all my faculties directed solely towards you ! ..................694.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home