Friday, May 13, 2011

Thirunedunthandagum----1

Of Thirumangai Aazhwaar's compilation of 30 hymns known as Thirunedunthandagum I have translated the following hymn.

First he made me realise that whatever I see in this world are as short lived as a flash of lightening,
Then he gifted the four Vedas as the leading light to dispel the darkness eclipsing all human beings,
Then he gave the bliss and tranquility that the sight of the cool white moon rise,would,
He bestowed upon me the sense of hearing , meditating and concentrating ,
and directed me towards the 24 th principle that is 'Atman' ,
He showed me a way out of this wordly life which is full of sorrow like disease ,old age and so on,and to overcome thecycle of birth and death,
His golden form and pearl like beauty encourages me to meditate on him,
He is in all 5 elements ---air, water, fire, earth and ether,
In the form of water He is accessible to all.
In the form of fire , he is detached.He is self illuminated.In all his forms he is within me!
His lotus feet that rests on my head, is the only ornament I will ever need!

The verse.

Minnuruvai munnuruvil vedam nangai,
vilakoliyai mulaithuyezhundu thingal thaannai,
pinnuruviyai munnuruvitra pinni moopilam ,
pirapillaaiirapadhirke yennadha yennum ,
ponnuruviyai maniyurivir poodamaindhai,
punalooruvai anul ooruvil thigazhum jothi Than ooruvai yenooruvil nindra yendai,
thalir puraiyum yen thalaimele'!


*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home