Saturday, January 22, 2011

Rama and Krishna.


Rama and Krishna are both considered as Avatar of Vishnu or Narayana.

Hindu's are exceedingly fond of and hold in great reverence and worship either one or the other or both .

When my life was going smoothly Bhagwad Gita gifted to us by Gopala,stirred my intellectual curiosity. But in trying times ,its deep philosophy coupled with practical advise in leading a meaningful life ,was and is the greatest source of comfort.

I d like to refer to to the 8 th century Vaishnavite saint of Tamilnadu ,Thondaradi podi Aazhwaar's following verse,


Marrum vor deivam undo?madhi illa maanidangaal!

U itra podhanri neengal oruvan yendru unnara ma itteer,

Arral mel ondru ari eer avan allal deivam illai,

Surrinam meitha yendhai khazhalinai pannimin neero!


Is there any other god?Foolish men!

Unless sorrow befalls, you will not realise,

That there is no other god than he ,Gopala ,

The cowherd .Hold on to the feet of my leader firmly!


Swami Desikan ,the Vaishnavite saint and scholar of 13 th century has described the beauty of Gopala and the enchanting music flowing from his flute, in the following sanskrit verse ,

Adharahita charu vamsa nalah,

Makutalambi mayura pinchamalah|

Harinila silavibhanga - lilah,

Pratibhah santu mamantima -prayane||


May the resplendent blue effulgence of Gopala ,

reminding one of an incomparable blue sapphire ,

split to augment its glow,

with blue peacock feather decorations on his dark black hair,

and the divine flute on his attractive lips ,appear before me,

during the last moments of my life on this earth.


Rama has always been my ideal. His unswerving devotion to Dharma--that is ---purity, truthfulness, kindness, magnanimity, nobility and humility, touches a deep chord within me.

The very thought that He had traversed this sub continent by foot, sanctifying each and every inch of this vast country , tingles and inspires me.

The deep reverence I have towards Rama is in my blood and in my genes.

Vishnu Sahasarnama in the Mahabharata has 1000 names of Vishnu. The daily recitation of which assures one of attaining the ultimate bliss or Moksham.The freedom from the cycle of birth and death.

Adhi Shankara the saint and scholar of 7 th century AD refers to this eternal cycle that besets us and has also shown the way to escape this in following verses of Bhaja govindam

Punarapi jananam punarapi maranam,

Punarapi janani - jathare sayanam,

Iha samsare bahu dustare ,

Kripaya pare pahi murare.


Birth unceasing! Death unceasing!,

Ever to cross through a mother's womb!

Hard to cross is the world 's wide ocean :

Please help me in this effort, Muralidhara.

He then suggests a way out of this vexatious cycle in the following verse,

Geyam gitanama-sahasarm,

Dheyam sripatirupa-majasram,

Neyam sajjana sange cittam,

Deyam dina janaya cavittam,


Every day recite from Gita,

Chant the 1000 names of Vishnu,

Keep company with the good and holy,'

Share your riches with poor and needy.


The Vishnu Sahasarnama that is the repository of the 1000 names of Vishnu has the verse,


Sri rama rama ramethi Rame rame manorame!,

Sahasarnama thasthulyam Rama nama varaname!

which means---

The benifit acquired by chanting the 1000 names of Lord Vishnu can be had by merely chanting the name of the peerless one ,Rama, even once!

Yes , Rama is my ideal .When I am deeply pained by injustices, ill will , miseries , the memory of this noble man, who has sanctified this vast land by his very presence , assures me that all is not lost.

His spiritual presence is all prevading and is like a breath of fresh air ,of which I often take deep gulps .To clean my mind , purify my soul and to provide me with the confidence to pull on through with life.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home